Blog #7: Confirmation Bias
Before this class, I had never heard of confirmation bias, but after learning about it, I realized it is something that affects me almost every day. Confirmation bias is the tendency to look for information that supports what we already believe while ignoring information that challenges those beliefs. I think everyone experiences it at some point, even if they do not realize they are doing it.
As a college student, I spend a lot of time on social media, especially TikTok and Instagram. I have noticed that once I watch or like a certain type of video, my feed starts showing me more content that is almost exactly the same. After a while, it can seem like everyone has the same opinion that I do. Learning about confirmation bias helped me understand that social media is not always showing me every side of an issue. It is mostly showing me what I am most likely to watch.
I also see confirmation bias when I talk with my friends. Sometimes we all agree about a topic, so we send each other videos or articles that support our opinions. We rarely stop to look for information that disagrees with us. I do not think we do it on purpose. It is just easier to accept information that makes us feel like we are right. This made me realize that I should spend more time listening to different perspectives instead of only looking for opinions that match my own.
Confirmation bias has a big impact on society because it can make people more divided. Many people only follow news sources, influencers, or social media accounts that share their beliefs. When everyone stays in their own group, it becomes harder to understand people with different opinions. Instead of having conversations and learning from one another, people often argue because they are convinced their side is the only correct one.
I also think confirmation bias affects different groups of people in different ways. People my age have grown up with social media, so we are constantly surrounded by personalized content. Older adults may rely more on the same television channels or news websites they have trusted for years. People with fewer opportunities to access reliable information may also be more likely to believe false or misleading stories. Even though the experiences are different, everyone can be affected by confirmation bias.
Learning about this concept has also made me think about how I complete assignments for school. When I research a topic, it can be tempting to choose sources that agree with my opinion because they support the argument I want to make. Now I realize that reading different viewpoints can actually help me understand a topic better. Even if I still disagree with another opinion, I can make a stronger argument because I have considered both sides.
Overall, I think confirmation bias is something everyone should be aware of because it influences the decisions we make every day. My generation has access to more information than ever before, but that also means we have to be more careful about what we choose to believe. Learning about confirmation bias has reminded me to slow down, ask questions, and think critically instead of accepting information just because it agrees with my opinion. I know I will never completely avoid confirmation bias because it is part of being human, but I can make an effort to recognize it. I think if more people did that, we would have more respectful conversations, make better decisions, and become more open minded people.
Comments
Post a Comment