An ethics reflection on the movie Thank You for Smoking

 Ethics Reflection: Thank You for Smoking (2005)

When I first started watching Thank You for Smoking (2005), I thought it was going to be more of a comedy than a movie about ethics. It definitely had funny moments, but as the movie went on, I realized it was really about how powerful communication can be and how people choose to use that power. The movie follows Nick Naylor, a spokesperson for the tobacco industry whose job is to defend cigarettes, even though everyone already knows they are harmful. Watching him argue his way out of almost every situation made me think about whether being good at convincing people is always the right thing to do.

The biggest ethical issue I noticed was how Nick used persuasion. He almost never answered questions directly. Instead, he would change the topic or make people focus on something else. Even though he wasn't always lying, he also wasn't being completely honest. To me, that is still unethical because people deserve the full truth, especially when it comes to something that affects their health. Just because you are good at arguing doesn't mean you should use those skills to protect something that can hurt people.

Another issue that stood out to me was how much the tobacco companies cared about making money. Throughout the movie, it felt like profits mattered more than the health of the people buying their products. I understand that businesses want to be successful, but I think there has to be a line. If a company knows its product can seriously harm people, it should have a responsibility to be honest about those risks instead of trying to make the product look better than it really is.

The movie also made me think about personal responsibility. Nick believes that people should be free to decide whether or not they want to smoke, and I do agree with that. Everyone should have the right to make their own choices. At the same time, I think those choices should be based on honest information. If companies leave out important facts or use advertising to make something seem safer than it is, people are not really making fully informed decisions. That is where I think the ethical problem comes in.

One part of the movie that really stuck with me was seeing Nick explain his job to his son. His son admired how confident and persuasive his dad was, but I kept wondering what lesson he was actually learning. It made me realize there is a big difference between winning an argument and doing what is right. You can be successful at convincing people and still be making unethical choices.

Overall, I thought Thank You for Smoking did a good job showing that communication is a powerful tool. Since I'm studying communications, it reminded me that the way we use that skill really matters. Being able to persuade people is important, but I think being honest and ethical is even more important. This movie showed me that success should not just be about winning or protecting a company's image. It should also be about telling the truth and thinking about how your words and actions affect other people. That is the biggest lesson I took away from the film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1: My Top Five Sources of News and Information

Blog Post #5: Privacy in the Digital Age