Blog Post #3: The Eight Values of Free Expression

When I read through the Eight Values of Free Expression, the one that stood out to me the most was individual self-fulfillment. As someone who is studying communication and minoring in photography, I think being able to express yourself is extremely important. Whether it is through speaking, writing, photography, or social media, people should have the freedom to share their thoughts, opinions, and creativity. I never really thought about free expression beyond it being a constitutional right, but after learning about these theories, I realized how much it affects everyday life.

I also connected with the Marketplace of Ideas theory. I see this theory in action every day on social media. Like a lot of people my age, I get a lot of information from TikTok and Instagram. Whenever something major happens, people immediately start sharing videos, opinions, and reactions. Some people agree with each other, while others have completely different viewpoints. Even though social media can sometimes spread misinformation, it also allows people to hear perspectives they might not have considered before. I found this article from the Freedom Forum helpful in explaining how the Marketplace of Ideas theory encourages different viewpoints to compete in public discussion.

As a communication major, I think free expression is especially important because communication is at the center of everything we do. Whether it is journalism, public relations, advertising, or social media, people need the ability to communicate openly. Without freedom of expression, it would be much harder for people to share information, tell stories, and hold those in power accountable. This is one reason why freedom of the press is so important. The public depends on journalists and media organizations to report information that people need to know.

One thing this class has made me think about is how much social media has changed the way people communicate. Platforms like TikTok have given ordinary people a voice that they may not have had before. Someone can post a video from their bedroom and potentially reach millions of people. That can be a positive thing because it allows more voices and experiences to be heard. At the same time, it shows why responsible communication is important. Just because someone has a platform does not mean everything they say is accurate.

Before learning about these theories, I mostly thought of free speech as simply the right to say what you want. Now I see it as something much bigger. Free expression allows people to share ideas, learn from each other, be creative, and participate in society. It helps people form their own opinions and gives them opportunities to connect with others.

Overall, the theories of individual self-fulfillment and the Marketplace of Ideas felt the most personal to me because they connect directly to my interests and daily life. As someone who enjoys photography, studies communication, and spends time on social media, I can see these values at work every day. Learning about these theories helped me understand why freedom of expression is such an important part of American society and why it continues to matter in today's digital world.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1: My Top Five Sources of News and Information

An ethics reflection on the movie Thank You for Smoking

Blog Post #5: Privacy in the Digital Age