Blog Post #6: The Importance of Antiwar Voices in a Democracy


The First Amendment is important because it gives people the right to speak out, even when their opinions are unpopular. After watching the assigned videos (https://www.youtube.com/watchv=0he_OScdFec  https://www.youtube.com/watchv=RbZ2eaCIttg&t=8s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwrUvjkRMI8&t=67s), I learned that during World War I many people who opposed the war were arrested or sent to jail simply for expressing their opinions. Even though the First Amendment existed, the government still punished people for sharing antiwar views.

Looking at today, it seems like strong antiwar opinions are much harder to find in mainstream news. Before this assignment, I had never heard of Antiwar.com or The American Conservative.


It made me wonder why these viewpoints are not discussed more often. I think one reason is that mainstream news tends to focus on stories and perspectives that appeal to the largest audiences. Antiwar opinions can be controversial, so they may not receive as much attention.

I also think that most people get their news from the same major sources, which means they are often hearing similar viewpoints. If someone wants to hear a different perspective, they usually have to search for it on their own. That does not mean those viewpoints are less important. It simply means they are not being highlighted as often.


This assignment made me realize how important it is to hear different sides of an issue, especially when it comes to war. Whether someone agrees with antiwar arguments or not, people should be able to express those opinions freely. 

The First Amendment helps protect that right, and I think it is important that people continue to have access to a variety of perspectives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1: My Top Five Sources of News and Information

An ethics reflection on the movie Thank You for Smoking

Blog Post #5: Privacy in the Digital Age