Blog Post #5: Privacy in the Digital Age
After watching the TED Talks about privacy, I realized how much personal information is collected about us every day. Before watching the videos, I mostly thought about privacy in terms of social media, but I learned that privacy concerns go much further than that. Technology can track where we go, what we search for, and even information about our daily habits. These videos made me think more carefully about how much information I share online and who might have access to it.
One TED Talk that stood out to me was "Your Online Life, Permanent as a Tattoo" by Juan Enriquez. In his TED Talk, he explained how information posted online can stay there forever, even if we think it has been deleted. This was surprising because people my age share so much of their lives online through photos, videos, and social media posts. It made me think about how easily our digital footprints can follow us into the future and potentially affect opportunities later in life.
Another interesting TED Talk was Catherine Crump's presentation about police tracking technology. I learned that technologies such as automated license plate readers can collect information about where people travel and how often they visit certain places. While these tools can help improve public safety, they also raise concerns about how much privacy people are giving up. Before watching this video, I had never really thought about how technology could track people's movements so easily.
These issues affect me because I use technology every day. Like most college students, I spend a lot of time online and often agree to privacy policies without reading them. My friends and family do the same thing. I think the government should require companies to be more transparent about how they collect and use personal data. People should know exactly what information is being collected and who has access to it.
I also explored additional TED Talks through TED's Privacy collection, which helped me better understand the different ways technology can affect personal privacy. People can protect themselves by using stronger passwords, enabling two-factor authentication, limiting what they share online, and paying closer attention to privacy settings.
Overall, these TED Talks showed me that privacy is one of the biggest challenges of the digital age. They made me more aware of how much information I share and why protecting personal privacy is so important. While technology makes life easier in many ways, it is important to understand the risks that come with it and take steps to protect our personal information.
Comments
Post a Comment